Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:14:28 -0400
> Lowell Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > My PC box have this Ethernet adapter (Linux kernel description):
>> >
>> > Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
>> > (rev b0)
>>
>> Attansic is now part of Atheros, but I can't find enough information
>> on that card to try matching it to a driver.
>>
>> If you have the hardware available, you might try booting from a CD
>> and see if it is recognized.
>>

> Hi Lowell.
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> Yes, my PC box (2 weeks old) have this ethernet adapter and i am concerned
> only cos i installed FreeBSD 7.0 CURRENT and the adapter is not recognized.

In that case you may need to communicate with a developer about it.
Someone probably has more information about this chipset than I do.

> Reading more about it, now i know this Attansic adapter is a PCI-E device,
> let me question you. What is a PCI-E device?, what are the differences with
> a common PCI device?.

PCI Express is quite an evolution from original PCI.  It isn't really
a bus; it provides a full mesh of signal paths.  Several FreeBSD
drivers support PCI Express devices today, but apparently not the one
you have.  I would have wondered if lge(4) supported it, but that is
in the default kernel already.