Thanks for the prompt reply Beech.

Regards,
Hartleigh.

On 17/07/2007, at 1:41 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:

On Monday 16 July 2007, Hartleigh Burton said:
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to FreeBSD and have what I hope is a simple
question regarding proftpd and PAM authentication.

I have just installed proftpd via the available port, and after
installation a message was returned saying:

###
Make sure you have the following lines in your PAM configuration
file so that ProFTPd's PAM module can authenticate users correctly.

ftpd auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftpd account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftpd session required    pam_permit.so
###

After reading into this I am confused as to where exactly I should
be entering this information. According to the proftpd README file,
in FreeBSD it likes to get this information from /etc/pam.conf,
whereas LINUX looks in /etc/pam.d/ftp, and what topped it off for
me is the / etc/pam.d/ftpd file.

Where is the best place to have this configuration information; is
it required considering there is already lines in /etc/pam.d/ftp;
if required should I overwrite /etc/pam.d/ftp or append to the
beginning/ end of the file?

I hope there is enough information here for someone to help. Any
help provided is greatly appreciated in advance ;)

Actually that isn't required anymore and is a holdover from earlier
versions. The pam configuration for ftpd is in /etc/pam.d/ftpd and
already contains the required entries. I should probably just remove
it to avoid confusion.

Beech - Proftpd Maintainer

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html