Oliver Peter wrote:
On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:21:49PM +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody on this list has successfully implemented the following setup on a FreeBSD machine?

Postfix + Amavisd-new + Clamav + DSpam + DBmail (PostgreSQL)

Can I use the following diagram for this?

Postfix --> Amavisd-new --> Clamav --> Amavisd-new --> DSpam --> Postfix --> DBmail-lmtpd --> DBmail-Database?

Is this the correct or optimal setup?

Being relatively new to the world of MTAs, please forgive me for any naive questions.

Any pointers, suggestions and tips will be highly appreciated.

I'm using  FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 with Postfix, Cyrus-SASL2, amavisd-new, clamav
and dbmail (only IMAP with stunnel) with a pgsql backend.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks alot for your reply. I was lost on this one!

I would like to switch back to a filesystem based e-mail backend
(maybe dovecot) - feels better to me.  Furthermore I think that dbmail
has no good pgsql support (it has some bugs with IMAP) - maybe you would like to try mysql instead (*hirgs*).

I think that I may have to switch back to Mysql then. I heard that PostgreSQL is more scalable than Mysql. But I am not an experienced database user, so, please forgive my little knowledge.

Why do you want to switch back to to a filesystem based e-mail backend? I suppose storing emails in a database should be more scalable and flexible in the long run?

If you would like I can show you my configuration files and table
structures.

Of course, I would like to see your configuration files. In fact, I am dying to see it.

I am planning my current setup to be used for a long term basis in a production environment for a very large user base.

Me and my team are currently just designing and testing it out. It might take some time before we can put this server in production.

Since I am very new to database terminology, how scalable is a database in terms of the data storage size. I mean suppose, we have 20000 users each with a quota of 1 GB. What will eventually happen if they all used up their quotas. That will be about 20 TB in size!!

Thanking you...

--

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,