Gemma Fletcher wrote:
I apologize in advance if this advice is too rudimentary.

Rudimentry is good :) I am a BSD noob :D

Sounds more like hardware. You did not say how you tested your memory. If
you
did not use Memtest86, get and run that. Also run fsck manually.

I used Memtest and I have had already run fsck since my poor hard drive was
compaining bitterly of so many cold restarts. There were some errors that
were cleaned up - and it seems a bit more stable <as in it can go a few
hours before freezing>

[snip]

I've had many freezes with FreeBSD 6.2 and nvidia cards on at least
3 separate systems.

The thing that has fixed it on every system has been to
use portdowngrade to reset the nvidia driver to:

nvidia-driver-1.0.8776

(possibly with an extra _4 in the portdowngrade list)

Hope this helps.