On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:46:36 +0700 (ICT)
Olivier Nicole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Olivier Nicole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: moving /home to new drive
> Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:46:36 +0700 (ICT)
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> > Or do I need to delete the
> > symlink first and only then try to mount the new drive as /home?
>
> - delete the symlink
> - create a directory /home
> - mount the new drive
> - copy the files

- verify the copy is successful
- mv /usr/home /usr/home_old

- create a symlink from /usr/home to /home - i DONT know whether this is
necessary or not, but if you want to keep things as seamless as possible, you'd
need it (i dont even know what is supposed to be the real path - i thought
/usr/home was the real thing and /home just a shortcut).

- test /home
- when happy, delete /usr/home_old (else you wont have made any room in the
other drive ;)

BTW, why not just

- mv /usr/home /usr/home_old
- mkdir /home
- mount [new_drive] /home
- copy -r /usr/home_old/* /usr/home/  ( make sure you use an appropriate
command for copying the data - cp does not handle special files correctly -
check the archives for discussions on this subject).

- test and deleted old copy ?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
Don't know. Don't care.