oug wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Boudjema wrote:

Bonjour,

Please excuses,
my english is bad, so i will explain in french my problem if this is not understood; i have a problem to install x window. my hope is to install kde. but without x, i am stopped; when i do pkg_add -r xorg, the response is: xorg 6.9is already installed or it's old version. when i do with cd /usr/ports/X11/xorg && make install clean: i have this reponse: error code 1, /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries not found in /usr/ports/xorg-libraries. other big problem because i have had this response at lot off attemptings: /usr/X11R6/ exists but is not a symlink. I have understoot in bad english that in the new versions , this file /usr/X11R6 must be only a symlink. what i must do to updtate and make all the corrections for all the ports? i think that there is a problem with a few of my ports, i can delete all the ports and install them in new ? like this i will have a system clean.
thin you.
what is error code 1? can i install all x window systeme? with sysinstall lot of packages are not installed: errors and failed are returned.
I have read the manual in french in first.
My version is 6.2
Areski Boudjema  Nanterre France

It does sound like xorg 6.9 is installed. You can tell by doing

   pkg_info | less

as root. If you see something like

   xorg-6.9.0          X.Org distribution metaport
   xorg-clients-6.9.0_3 X client programs and related files from X.Org
xorg-documents-6.9.0 Documentation of X11 protocol and libraries from X.Org
   xorg-fonts-100dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
   xorg-fonts-75dpi-6.9.0_1 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
   xorg-fonts-cyrillic-6.9.0_1 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
   xorg-fonts-encodings-6.9.0_1 X.Org font encoding files
   xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-6.9.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
   xorg-fonts-truetype-6.9.0 X.Org TrueType fonts
   xorg-fonts-type1-6.9.0 X.Org Type1 fonts
   xorg-fontserver-6.9.0_1 X font server from X.Org
   xorg-libraries-6.9.0_1 X11 libraries and headers from X.Org
   xorg-manpages-6.9.0 X.Org library manual pages
   xorg-nestserver-6.9.0_1 Nesting X server from X.Org
   xorg-printserver-6.9.0_2 X Print server from X.Org
   xorg-server-6.9.0_6 X.Org X server and related programs
   xorg-vfbserver-6.9.0_2 X virtual framebuffer server from X.Org
   xterm-225           Terminal emulator for the X Window System

then you have xorg installed. If xorg-6.9 is installed there is no need to upgrade to 7.2 unless 6.9 does not work on your hardware.

If you also installed kde from the installation CD you will see something like:

  kde-3.5.6           The "meta-port" for KDE

followed by a bunch of lines starting with kde.

Did you follow the instructions in the handbook, 5.4: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html?

If you did this, and kde is not installed, try creating a file named .xsession as

   #!/bin/sh
   /usr/X11R6/bin/twm

and then type xdm from the console to start X. This gives you a very simple and (hopefully) self-explanatory window manager.

If all this works you can try to install kde as a package (i.e., pre-compiled) by:

   setenv PACKAGEROOT ftp://ftp2.FreeBSD.org (use the mirror nearest you)
   pkg_add -r kde

or you can install kde from your install CD. It is probably on disk 2. I personally think installing kde from packages is easier, especially if you are just starting out. There are easily 100+ packages required to support kde. It takes a long time to build and all the required packages.

Hope this helps. If you are going to use ports (i.e. build from source), it is (to me) much harder when you are starting out unless you know make and a bit of C, C++ so you can interpert the errors. In any case you should also update your port tree as previously suggested.

Re-bonjour,
after my first mail, i have as always looked for find the solution by my self. i vorked with cvsup and portmanager, in order to update and rebuilt all X11, xorg and their dependancies; i have
worked with portmanager -u. Cvsup. In the end, i have done:
portmanager /usr/Ports/X11/ -f -l.
pkgdb -F  /usr/ports/x11/xorg
Now i have the version 7.02 of xorg. when i do Xorg -config /root/xorg.config, i have as response: could not read default font fixed. what does it mean? what i must do?
i have choosed in xorg.conf.new: modes 1024x768, defaultdepht 24;
note that the new version of xorg recognise my driver, the 6.09 version did n't do that, i was in vesa not nvidia driver.
thak you;
In few minits, i will do your proposition.