i see. After running just the mlnet_real itself, the app doesnt consume so
much power anymore. So the gui is the real problem here, huh?? any attempt
to improve this??

ciao,

TFC

On 7/23/07, Danny Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:44:17PM -0400, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>   I run mldonkey (mlnet+gui) on freebsd 6.2 and found it takes up a lot
of
> CPU resources. Is this a common thing or just me.

I run mlnet 2.8.7 *without* the GUI on 6.2 on a 533MHz VIA C3 (hardly a
powerhorse) and it consumes very, very little CPU at all.  It does consume
as much memory as it can, and the CPU load is high for the first minute
after launching, but overall it runs very smoothly.

The advantage of running it headless is that you can use different GUIs to
connect in from different hosts.  Sancho (
http://sancho-gui.sourceforge.net) is a good choice, but there are others.

Cheers,
Danny