\   \   Paul Schmehl wrote:
--On Tuesday, July 24, 2007 16:01:33 -0400 Ian Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Fitzgerald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 juillet 2007 15:42
To: Tom Grove
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org; Ian Lord
Subject: Re: Root access loggin

I may be misunderstanding this, but wouldn't allowing only certain
commands with sudo assume that the user actually knows what commands
are needed by the user? In this situation it seems like the whole
reason to grant access to the server was because the user _doesn't_
know what needs to be done.
~~

Exactly, I don't know what needs to be done, and they don't neither.
That's why they need to browse around trying to figure out why their
installer doesn't work.

Sudo wouldn't be any help here cause I would need to pre approve commands
and I don't know which one will be needed.

You seem to have a mistaken understanding of sudo. You can grant them access to everything that root has simply by adding their account to the wheel group and using visudo to grant wheel access to everything that root has access to. You can do this with or without a requirement to type your password when you use sudo.

This will allow them to do everything they want while logging every command they type. And that seems to be exactly what you want. So, rather than giving them the root password, create an account for them, add it to the wheel group and use visudo to edit /usr/local/etc/sudoers to grant wheel access to everything. (DO NOT edit the file with vi!)

To add the wheel group to a user:
pw usermod username -G wheel

Granting access to wheel should be self-explanatory:

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

That way everything they do is logged, and you don't have to compromise your root password.

The problem here is that the first command I type in this situation if i need to run multiple commands as root it sudo su - after that nothing is logged. I agree with Lowell that watch(8) is probably the way to go.

Vince