Eric Crist wrote:
On Jul 26, 2007, at 4:54 AMJul 26, 2007, Dylan Smith wrote:

I am currently on the last stages of setting up a FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE File and Network Application Server. One of my last tasks is to simple forward all mail from root out through my isp's SMTP(requires authentication) server and to an email account i have elsewhere. That is to say i have no purpose for a mail server other than to handle mail from things like periodic and to move that mail elsewhere.

Can this be easily accomplished? If so are there any guides/how-to's? I have done a search around my usual BSD sites and books and found nothing that is easily modified to my circumstances.

Thanks, Dylan.

It can be done, but it's a PITA with Sendmail. Look into /usr/ports/mail/ssmtp. We use it on our systems here where we need to simply get root's email off the box. Simple configuration file, works well.

Eric Crist

Thanks for that little suggestion.
Would this mean that i could just disable sendmail totally(sendmail_enable="none")?

Dylan.