>Hello,

>I'm trying to establish whether I can expect the Adaptec AAR-1220SA or
>AAR-1430SA SATA cards to work with 6.2.  They're not on the list of
>supported hardware, which does include a lot of the other Adaptec
>cards.  However, the Adaptec cards that are listed all seem to be
>hardware RAID cards, whereas the 1220SA and 1430SA use something called
>'HostRAID', which I think just means software raid.  Does this just mean
>that I'll be unable to use the RAID functionality on the cards, not
>really a concern, or are they unlikely to work at all?
>
>any thanks,
>
>Chris Key

I have a 1210SA adapter with 6.2 to use a gmirror.
It looked all was working fine but when untarring large files or even a csup of
the portstree I got TIME OUT messages on channel ad6
First I thought it was the disk so to eliminate that I switched the disks on
the controller and got the same timeouts on ad6.

I then searched the chipset for these adapters and soren the ata developer
stated to stay away from those chipsets.

I now have a 3ware 8006-2LP adapter and that works ok till now.

See here

regards,
Johan

Checked by AVG Free Edition.