Hello,

We've been having a problem with generating the ports Index ever since upgrading to emacs22.

As per /usr/ports/UPDATING, we added EMACS_PORT_NAME=*emacs22* to /etc/make.conf

Everything went fine. Now running emacs22.

But ever since, our daily routine of cvsup'ing and portsdb -Uu has gone south, first with this error:

lsdb-*emacs22*-0.10_1: "/usr/ports/editors/flim-*emacs22*" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete ===> devel/lsdb failed
   *** Error code 1
   1 error

and now today this:

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..eieio-emacs22-0.17_2: "/usr/ports/editors/speedbar-emacs22" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
   ===> devel/eieio failed
   *** Error code 1
   1 error

   *** Error code 1

   Stop in /usr/ports.
   *** Error code 1

   Stop in /usr/ports.
   failed to generate INDEX!

Perhaps we should be doing a "portsdb -Fu" instead of "-Uu"? (that works when I tried it)

I'm not sure, because according to the portsdb manpage,

   "If you define special macros in /etc/make.conf and the
   dependency of some ports are changed, you should create
   INDEX by yourself by using this option. Otherwise, using
   -F option is recommended since it is much faster."

but we do have that "EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22" in /etc/make.conf, so I'm not sure.

We are also not sure what the implications are of doing a "portupgrade -a" or "portinstall" after after a failed portsdb. Some of our ports are getting out of date, and we're not sure what to do.

Also, I'm not sure if "EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22" even needs to stay in /etc/make.conf after upgrading. I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD a new server yesterday, and emacs22 was installed by default when I did my "portinstall emacs" anyway, so is there any sense in keeping it in make.conf on boxes where I've upgraded?

On one test machine, I took that line out /etc/make.conf, and portsdb -Uu works again, so any guidance on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
DW