Have you tried using the vnc option and connecting to qemu through a
vnc client?  As I already said, I recommend starting out on a machine
with X until you're more familiar with qemu, as the default settings
pretty much do that anyway, but I expect a vnc connection will be the
second easiest.

Thank you for your suggestions Bill. I don't want to install X coz I just use this as a headless machine but the VNC idea seems worth a try. :)

Do you have any experience with this method btw? I mean, what do I do? Run with the VNC option and then use TightVNC or something to connect to some IP?

Thanks!
Rakhesh