[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Brett Davidson wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Brett Davidson wrote:

If there are patches/updates to this issue I would REALLY like to know about them! :-)

--
Brett Davidson
Systems Engineer

delete it and notify the sender.

I may be wrong, but USB support has always been giant-locked, and continues to be giant-locked, at least until Hans work maybe gets integrated into 8-CURRENT after a major code review.

-Garrett

Thanks Garrett.

By the way, my colleague informed me incorrectly that USB and SMP support was an issue. (Although I am keen for this to work!) :-)

Heh :).

From the latest source, the Kernel PAE conf file mentions that USB and PAE are not known to play well together. This is my immediate concern.

Not sure if that's a problem. PAE is just an ugly ugly hack, but you probably know that by now... should have gone with amd64 ;).

Indeed. I'd even say you're being a bit too polite in that indictment of PAE. However, a few of the apps we run here don't support 64 bit FreeBSD yet. We now require more memory than 4Gb, which in 32 bit land, means that the big ugly hack (still keeping with your terminology here - this is a "family" mailing list, after all) is necessary.

I only really want USB so that the Intel Remote Management module we are running in our servers can actually control the system. (Yes, using USB to allow a daughterboard to control a server is a particular kludge that only Intel use but let's leave any discussion on that for another time, shall we?).

Kinda important for me to have both working. Rock -> Me <- Hard Place.

>Uhm, it's sorta like that. Many drivers are still using giant-locks, but there's a lot of effort going >into removing those giant locks for creating more SMP'goodness :) .

That may be (and it sounds wonderful - I'll take three) but how does this affect PAE again? The PAE kernel notes tell me that USB and PAE may have issues with each other, but that's about it.

What is the problem?  Has anyone found a problem?

Brett.