On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, John Nielsen wrote:

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 12:16:32 pm CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
On Sun, July 29, 2007 01:37, N.J. Mann wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
Is there a way to specify which ports certain options are to be applied
to, without having to craft custom command lines and build ports
individually?

Is  ports-mgmt/portconf  what you are looking for?

I didn't know about ports-mgmt/portconf (will check it out now) but what
I use is the make.conf file.

This blog post
(http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2006/01/14/upgrading-ports-and-preserv
e-mak e-options) is what enlightened me. And here's how the application
specific bits of my make.conf file looks:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/shells/bash}
WITH_STATIC_BASH=yes
PREFIX=/
.endif

<snip>
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Also, if you use portupgrade there's a MAKE_ARGS section
of /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.

Yes, but the problem with sepcifying custom options in there is that sometimes portupgrade ignores it. I don't know for a fact, but the blog post I linked to above mentions so.

Say, bash and its dependency gettext have updates. And you have specified
some custom options for gettext in pkgtools.conf. If you upgrade gettext directly using portupgrade, then these options get honoured. Instead, if you upgrade bash and gettext gets upgraded as a result of that, then the pkgtools.conf options are not honoured. So the only solution then is to use the make.conf file coz that's always honoured. (From what I see, the portconf tool too adds its stuff to the make.conf file).

Please correct me if I've understood wrong.

Regards,
Rakhesh