Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
Is TMPFS available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?
Or do i have to settle for mfs?

[venting frustration]
The reason i ask is i need something very flexible when it comes to memory usage as a poor-mans shared-memory feature for a closed source data conversion app, used only occasionally but with *alot* of data passing through. By alot i mean it took our quad core xeon 3 ghz with 4 gbyte memory and 4 SAS drives in 1+0 RAID, about a day and a half to process (on disk). Simple tests (by others) using netbsd on a single cpu 3 ghz and tmpfs, it took roughly 70 minutes. Most of which was spent loading and unloading the data over the network. I'd really like that memory back after use for other things as this server is also serving databases with files etc.

I love FreeBSD enough to have run my personal webserver on FreeBSD-Sparc64 but I don't understand here. If NetBSD does the work in 70 minutes why not do it on NetBSD?

-- Chris

--
      __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks