>       Hrm, when you print out your environment variables, what
> is MAIL or mail ? Do either of those variables exist, and if so
> what are they set to? And if set, does a file exist at that
> location?

I don't know how to print out environment variables, but
echo $MAIL

and

echo $mail

both are empty.

I should have mentioned this to begin with, but the actual message
I am getting is;

"you have mail in /usr/david"

which points to my home directory, which maybe is the result
when $MAIL is empty. However, I don't see what specific file
in /usr/david that would be triggering the message.  I do notice
that I am getting incoming mail in /usr/david/tmp which each
carry the mutt-??? tag.  Note;

$ cd /usr/david/tmp
$ ls -tl

total 640