Written by Matthias Apitz on 08/02/07 12:58>>
El día Wednesday, August 01, 2007 a las 03:21:12PM -0600, Ross Penner escribió:

On 8/1/07, Reid Linnemann < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Written by Ross Penner on 08/01/07 13:34>>
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install a system on a machine that doesn't have an optical
drive. I plan on using a USB flash drive to do the job and found a
messages from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg55434.html )

Hello,

The above mentioned web page and script shows a usage of cpio(1)
which I have never seen before:

        cpio -dump ${tmpdir}/img

I was curious, looked into the man page of cpio(1) and even in the
online manual at http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual/cpio.html
but did not saw anything about the option '-dump'; can someone
bring a light to me? Thx

        matthias

I think that should be read as a mnemonic combination of the -d -u -m and -p options (from 'info cpio'):

`-d, --make-directories'
     Create leading directories where needed.

`-u, --unconditional'
     Replace all files, without asking whether to replace existing
     newer files with older files.

`-m, --preserve-modification-time'
     Retain previous file modification times when creating files.

`-p, --pass-through'
     Run in copy-pass mode.  *Note Copy-pass mode::.

This seems to make sense to me.