Jeremy Gransden wrote:
On 8/2/07, Jim Stapleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry if my question is a bit confusing - I'm not even sure the proper
terminology, so I don't know what the best way to start looking is.

I'm rebuilding a system at home, and I'd like to check how the build
is going at a slow time at work sometimes. I can connect to the system
from work (ssh into my main box, and then from there, ssh to the
system I'm working on). I have a terminal opened on that system
(actually, another ssh session fron the main box), and I'd like to
have my new connection attach to that terminal session, if possible,
so that I can just pick up where I left off, and monitor it from here.
Is this possible?

Maybe your looking for screen.

try
man screen

Also sounds like you could do this with watch

man 8 watch
for more details.
thanks,
jeremy