Oscar Chavarria wrote:
On 8/3/07, Bart Silverstrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oscar Chavarria wrote:
I have a GENERIC kernel. The /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file
contains
the following under the USB Support section (among other devices):

device          usb             #USB Bus (required)
device          uhid            #"Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd           #Keyboard

Nevertheless, the keyboard is useless, not recognized until FreeBSD
takes
control, for example to choose the type of bootup: safe, single user,
reboot, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
How old is the computer?  Does the BIOS support USB devices...?  You may
need a BIOS update, or the system you have just doesn't support USB at
bootup...

It's quite new, less than a year (Pentium IV, VIA motherboard) and it does
support USB. As a matter of fact, the keybr does work after bootup. I also
mounted a USB HDD on /usr/home with no problem.

Ah. Some motherboards support USB but need to have the OS support them, hence the reason that things would work after bootup and initialization is complete. Other systems have built-in handler code in the BIOS so that you can use USB-based toys for things like booting from USB thumbdrives or USB keyboards to configure BIOS settings.

If your system is the former, it would explain why you see things working after the OS takes over (much like some hard disks not being seen correctly until Linux bypasses BIOS code) and you may need an update to the BIOS. If the latter, then I don't know why your system isn't seeing USB toys until after the OS drivers take over.

-Bart