I tried doing some searching on this (mailing list and Google) but although I saw the problem mentioned, I didn't see much discussion or any resolutions. If I missed something, please pardon the noise.

After I upgraded both a Gateway laptop and a Dell Optiplex to Xorg 7.2 (both running 6.2-STABLE built July 26th), I lost the ability to alt-SHIFT-F1 -F8 and switch to a console. Console switching worked fine with Xorg 6.9.

I found that I was missing the /usr/local/share/X11/compiled directory and the /usr/local/share/X11/compiled/server-0.xkm file. I made the directory and touch'd the filename, restarted X and I got the console-switching function back.

I thought I followed the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING to the letter. Has anyone else seen this happen or does anyone have any idea of what I might have done wrong in the upgrade?

Thanks

Tim Kellers