I've installed vnc from the ports and it works fine, but it's annoying to have to log on to my server and start the vncserver every time I want to connect from my desktop PC. One problem is my server has been randomly rebooting (I suspect hardware problems but ...), so I can't just leave the server running.

I tried putting a start-up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and it works, but in the vncserver script itself there is a loop which checks for the availability of commands, including xauth. Apparently during boot-up the PATH doesn't include /usr/X11R6/bin, so on boot-up one of the messages I get is 'vncserver: couldn't find "xauth" on your path' and the server isn't started.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to make this work?

--
Roger