On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
No updates needed to update system to 6.2-RELEASE-p7.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD asterix 6.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Thu Apr 26 17:40:53 UTC 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ GENERIC i386

Is that normal? I mean, there obviously seems to be a 6.2-RELEASE- p7 but then why isn't my system getting updated to that? Is it coz I am not using the parts that are affected by the patches to 6.2- RELEASE-p7? Or have I misconfigured something?

Not all security patches involve updating the kernel. The recent ones have involved changes to BIND and the symlink attack starting up jails, and thus they do not result in the version printed by your kernel in dmesg or via uname changing.

--
-Chuck