Written by Sean Murphy on 08/09/07 15:15>>
How do I make install clean a port in the background?  I used

cd /usr/ports/www/apache22
make install clean &

it returns the pid but then compiles in the foreground

What am I doing wrong?

You're just seeing the output in the foreground, since the stdio and stderr for that process are still directed to the terminal. If you are using bash, you could "make install clean &> /dev/null &" to have the process operate in the background and direct all output the the bitbucket. I don't know the analog for other shells.