On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:31:58 +1000
jonathan michaels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:40:55PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:27:41 +1000
> > jonathan michaels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by
> > > "amaya-gtk"
> >
> > G'day Jonathan :)
>
> norberto, greetings .. how have you been ??
>
> sorry, if i make a mistake, have we written before ? i seem to
> recall in teh past a time or two ??

hi :) probably on the lists -

btw, please keep the list in CC

> > in my box (6.2 STABLE) , it was installed by gettext:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] [Fri Aug 10 13:36:21 2007]
> > /usr/home/betom
> > $ locate libintl.so.8
> > /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8
>
> that was teh forst thing that i tired and nothing .. no
> responce
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] [Fri Aug 10 13:36:25 2007]
> > /usr/home/betom
> > $ pkg_info -W `locate libintl.so.8`
> > /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8 was installed by package gettext-0.16.1_3
>

> that didn;t shw up much either .. "file is not in PATH"

of course, you haven't got the file in the first place :)

pkg_info -W {file} tells you which package (if any) installed that file.
Because it's located under /usr/local/, it is highly likely it was installed by
a 3rd party package/port , rather than part of the OS

> but i checked for "gettext" in teh index-6 and in my version,
> either jul 2006 or jan 2007 ( freebsd toolkit or jan 2007 ), is
> a fw revisions earlier than the right one.

fair enough, i keep mine up to date. you can use

locate libintl.so

instead , and see if you have any version of libintl installed.

If you do have a version of libintl in your system, (highly likely if you have
gettext installed), then you can try mapping the calls to libintl.so.8 to
libintl.so (which should be a soft link to your version of libintl,
ie,so.SOMETHING ). You do this by updating /etc/libmap.conf

a line like

libintl.so.8    libintl.so

should do the trick.

TFM is @ man libmap.conf :)

> looks like i'm going to have to upgrad teh whole lot .. grrr.
> do you know where i can get the whole packages tree ? norberto
> ??

not necessarily , it may work with updating libmap.conf

> thank you norberto, very much appreciated.
>
> most kind regards

no problem at all :)

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a
cure for jerks."
  Calvin

Warned.