On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 07:13:57PM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:

> I have just read the UPDATING file and realized that this is something that
> have so many possibilities of going horribly wrong that it most certanly
> will. Thus I want another option.
>
> Would it be possible to deinstall every port that relates to Xorg 6 and
> install Xorg 7 as if X never existed?

Yes, that is certainly possible, but you should make sure to get *every*
port that relates to X.org 6.

> Anyone care to tell me if pkg_delete xorg* would do, or if there's a better
> way?

No, that is not enough.  That misses a few ports. (E.g. dri, libdrm, imake,
xterm and probably a couple of others.)

What I did recently when I finally decided to switch over from X.org
6.x to 7.x was to delete *all* installed ports. (It was quite a while since
I updated my installed ports so more than half of them was in need of
updating anyway.)

I also made sure to do a 'rm -fr /usr/X11R6' to remove any trace of X.org 6.
(This step is important since with X.org 7 /usr/X11R6 is changed to be just
a compatibility symlink to /usr/local.  If /usr/X11R6 already exists as a
standard directory then X.org 7 will refuse to install.)

Then I reinstalled everything from scratch from a newly-updated ports tree.

It worked just fine.  (Which is not surprising since the situation was
equivalent to that of a brand-new install of FreeBSD from which one would
expect an install of X.org to work fine.)

(And if you already have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf you will probably need to
adjust that.  The "Files" and "Module" sections will almost certainly need
to be updated to account for new search paths and the like.
Easiest way to generate a new file to compare with the old is to run
'Xorg -configure'.  Often things will also work fine without any xorg.conf
file at all.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson