Nikola Lecic wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:36:53 +0400 (GST)
Rakhesh Sasidharan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nikola Lecic wrote:

Yes, options are not saved that way and Vim's default is with X11.
Please make sure that the following lines exist in
your /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:

 MAKE_ARGS = {
        'editors/vim' => 'NO_GUI=yes',
        [... options for other ports ...]
 }

Next time portupgrade will honour it (without -P/-PP options, of
course).
As far as I know, portupgrade won't honour this setting vim is
upgraded as a dependency of some other port. (Please correct me if
I'm wrong. I haven't tried this; its just something I read).

At least with portupgrade-devel, that doesn't seem true. I read it
too, and the source was an unofficial blog. For example, I have:

  MAKE_ARGS = {
      [...]
      'print/apsfilter'           => 'PAPERSIZE=a4',
      'print/ghostscript-gpl'     => 'A4=yes',
      [...]
  }

ghostscript-gpl is a dependency of apsfilter. Now, ghostscript-gpl
needed update. I removed apsfilter for this testing purpose and:

  # portupgrade -NR apsfilter
  [...]
  --->  Installing 'apsfilter-7.2.8_3' from a port (print/apsfilter)
  --->  Building '/usr/ports/print/apsfilter' with make flags: PAPERSIZE=a4
  [...]
  --->  Upgrading 'ghostscript-gpl-8.57' to 'ghostscript-gpl-8.57_1'
                                                (print/ghostscript-gpl)
  --->  Building '/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gpl' with make flags: A4=yes
A4=yes

So the /etc/make.conf option is better.

It is definitively the most universal and IMHO it should appear in the
Handbook.

I just like to keep all ports/packages upgrading options at the same
place (USE_PKGS, MAKE_ARGS, USE_PKGS_ONLY...).

BTW, as far as I can recollect, as a global-honouring tool for ports
configuration, the most frequently quoted one along these lists was
ports-mgmt/portconf.

Nikola Lečić
Thanks Nikola, Roland, Rakhesh,

I've gone for a portconf based solution for now, although, when I get the chance, I'll try to test how portupgrade behaves wrt dependencies. I would prefer to use pkgtools.conf for several reasons:

1) It keeps all the ports related configuration together
2) MAKE_ARGS get echoed when things are being built, whereas arguments in make.conf don't seem to 3) If I run 'make install clean', I'd rather it built things as default, rather than just being an alternative to 'portupgrade -N'

Regards,

Chris