> > Definitely something is wrong with your VLC (probably an older version)
> > since I can play US DVDs with VLC .
>
> That's pretty much what I thought. I'm upgrading VLC now on the machine.

Well, that didn't work. I have the latest VLC in ports, and here is
the error I get:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/acd0 mounted on /cdrom for CSS
            authentication
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/acd0 with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/acd0 for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/acd0 inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/cthala/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
[00000265] main playlist: nothing to play

:(