Wojciech Puchar wrote:

I'm thinking of backing up my FreeBSD 6.2 webmail server by installing
FreeBSD onto the USB, and then dumping the whole filesystem onto the USB. That way, in the event of a drive failure, I can boot off the
USB drive, and then just restore everything onto the webmail server.

good idea. man rsync :)

I was thinking about just dump, as I'm more familiar with it, but
I'll check out rsync if you think it's better for this purpose.

Has anyone else done this?  I haven't found any mention via Google,

i'm doing this with my notebook.

Great.  What kind of drive?  And have you actually
had to do a restore?

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator