Peter Pluta wrote:

I installed memcached and since it doesn't have a config file I entered
the flags into rc.conf, but when I start it with the rc.d scripts, it
always runs as nobody, instead of the user I specified with -u <user>. The
man page says "only when run as root". This confuses me somewhat because
i'm executing the rc.d script as root, yet it still starts as nobody. I
can manually start memcached with "memcached -u memcached -l 127.0.0.1 -p
11211 -m 32 -P /var/run/memcached/memcached.pid".
/etc/rc.conf bit:
memcached_enable="YES"
memcached_flags='-u memcached -d -l 127.0.0.1 -m 32 -P
/var/run/memcached.pid -p 1121'

Nvm, I had to take a look at the rc script to see that there was another
directive (memcached_user="")

This is because memcached_user is checked by it's rc.d script and defaults to "nobody". Thus, when memcached is started from the script, without memcached_user set, it will be run as nobody, not as root, and it won't be able to switch to another user by itself.