On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:26:50PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:29:59 +0200
> Roger Olofsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Turns out ImageMagick was called through php to resize the .JPG and most
> > likely, the server runs out of memory/disk space. /var/tmp fills up and
> > console spews as follows:
> >
> > Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: vnode_pager_putpages: I/O error 28
> > Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: vnode_pager_putpages: residual I/O 32768
> > at 62620
> > Aug 22 19:29:49 rutilus kernel: pid 29 (syncer), uid 0 inumber 49382 on
> > /var: filesystem full
>
> :) having been bitten by that in several unix-like OS (pick any Linux distro,
> and freebsd too), i just remove /var/tmp and make a smylink to /tmp , which
> is big enough for my foreseeable needs. I like to keep my /var clean of tmp
> rubbish.
>
> and yes,  configuring PHP and it's libraries helps too :)

That's not an answer obviously.  Error 28 is

#define ENOSPC          28              /* No space left on device */

This seems like a bug to me: when a filesystem fills you shouldn't be
getting this behaviour.  Can you please follow the directions in the
developers handbook chapter on kernel debugging, and when you trigger
a hang, break to DDB from the console and force a dump, then file a PR
and make the core file available to the developers.  Unfortunately
unless a developer can replicate the behaviour, providing access to a
core is the only real debugging option.

Thanks,
Kris