[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
So I burned another copy of the iso in FreeBSd with burncd using:
  burncd -f /dev/acd1 6.2-RELEASE-i386.iso fixate
and it booted just fine.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice. Now I will be spending the better part of the weekend doing the installation of 6.2. Wish me luck.

Hurrah! :) Better part of a weekend, though? Oh well, mine not to reason why...

It occurs to me now that under Win98 you would have had to use the ASPI layer to burn your CD. Much as I loathe Nero, I found it was the ASPI layer that caused my problems. The ASPI layer [for whatever reason] tends to degrade over time until it's unusable. When I finally upgraded my systems to Windows 2000, I was able to use the SPTI layer, which I found far superior to ASPI.

It might be a good idea not to use Win98 for burning CDs any more. If you did decide to use a more recent version of Windows, I can recommend the freeware project Burnatonce, which is fully SPTI-capable.