Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> It would appear that the "proper" allocation of filesystems on FreeBSD is
>> to put all data in /usr.  I'm used to this and have been doing it for
>> years.
>
> my favourite "proper" allocation is to make ONE partition (/) and
> nothing more. and forget all problems about how to partition your drive
> right...

With a single, large filesystem on /, you cannot take advantage of
things like background fsck, cuz / always needs to be checked fully
before the system goes multiuser.

A small / partition is quick to fsck, and can be kept mounted sync to
ensure consistency without harming system throughput. All the others
(/var, /usr, /foo) can be checked after the machine is live, greatly
speeding up post-crash recovery.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo