Hi Prakash,

Prakash Poudyal wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Can anybody give me idea related to configure the squid (proxy server). I
need to know hhow much I need to fix the cache memeory . My machine consist
of 2 GB Ram and dual processor . And operating system is FreeBSD 5.4. And I
do have client more than 500 and most of them are research orriented. And
also I am trying to configure another proxy server as for the parent proxy.
So please tell me how to make parent proxy as well. So please give me some
idea or tips so that I could run the server properly and my clients would
have a good smile in there face.

Configuring a Squid proxy server is a long and enduring process. Also it depends upon what you want to achieve. A high hit ratio rate, fast median service times, etc. There is no shortcut in setting up a proxy server. As time goes on, you need different settings to tune it. What worked today might not work tomorrow.

With FreeBSD, you have an 2 options to install Squid. Either from ports or source.

If you are install Squid from source, the following options might help:

'--enable-removal-policies=lru heap'
'--enable-storeio=coss,ufs diskd null aufs' '--enable-delay-pools' '--enable-snmp' '--enable-cache-digests' '--with-large-files' '--enable-large-cache-files' '--enable-kill-parent-hack'

Also, I suggest you to go with the latest version of Squid which is squid-2.6.14 currently.

Version-2.6 is extremely CPU friendly.

Regarding the cache_mem parameter, just use 32 MB for a default option.

A system with 2 GB of memory and Dual processor should be able to handle 500 or more customers.

Regarding a parent-child hierarchy using Squid, just configure and install the parent Squid as you would do normally.

In your child Squid proxy, just add the following lines in your squid.conf:

cache_peer ParentProxyIP       parent 3128  3130

That should do it for a basic parent/child relationship.

Your Squid Port and ICP port might be different.

Hope it helps.

Thanking you...

Thank you,

Prakash