How about if you read  first page from Chapter 18 from the Handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

There are several rock solid command line programs for burning CDs and DVDs. Burn cd is the simplest one. cdrecord is the second one.

Forgive me for saying this but before we declare something is wrong with hardware lets check if the thing can record from the command line when you are supper user. This way we will check if something is wrong with hardware or with configuration files i.e. permissions , links etc.
If you can rip CD from the command line hardware is OK.

Scott I. Remick wrote:
Predrag Punosevac wrote:
What happens when you try to rip a CD from the command line with let say burncd program?

You'll have to forgive me... but I don't normally use burncd, and as far as I can tell from the man page there isn't a way to rip with it. Seems to be just for writing. Can you pass along the proper syntax? Thanks