Ok Scott I got you. You want to rip the CD. That should be easier. Let me suggest something elementary first. Why don't you
mount your cd as

su -
password
mount-t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt

You should see you disk mounted and songs like files that you can transfer to hard disk. Of course you
can convert them latter to some format you like best.

Did you read Gnome project documentation on using sound juser as

*Nautilus-cd-burner does not let me burn CDs or Totem/Goobox/Sound-juicer cannot find my CD/DVD drive. How can I fix this?*

Nautilus-cd-burner, totem, goobox, and sound-juicer cannot use CD/DVD drives unless support for those devices is enabled in the kernel, and the permissions on the device nodes allow write access. Nautilus-cd-burner, totem, goobox, and sound-juicer talk to CD/DVD drives through the SCSI CAM subsystem. Therefore, you must make sure you have the following configured in your kernel:

device          scbus
device          cd
device          pass
You must also make sure you have the following configured in your kernel if you are using an ATAPI CD/DVD drive:

device     atapicam
Finally, if you are running GNOME 2.16 or later, you must have HAL running <http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19>, or you will only be able to burn to an ISO image file.

To figure out which CD/DVD drive you will be using, run the following command as root:

# camcontrol devlist
Your output will look similar to the following:

<QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 UD22>      at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
The devices in parentheses at the end are important. You must make sure the /dev entries for those devices are writable by the users that will be using nautilus-cd-burner, totem, goobox, or sound-juicer. In addition to those devices, /dev/xpt* must also be writable to your nautilus-cd-burner, totem, goobox, and sound-juicer users. The following /etc/devfs.conf configuration will achieve the desired results given the above devlist:

perm    cd0     0666
perm    xpt0    0666
perm    pass0   0666
If you encounter problems burning to discs with nautilus-cd-burner, set the following GConf /apps/nautilus-cd-burner/debug to /true/ using *Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor* (gconf-editor from the command line). Then run nautilus-cd-burner from the command line, reproduce the problem you are having, and capture the output on the command line. Include this along with the rest of your bug report <http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html>.

Let me know what is going on.

Scott I. Remick wrote:
Predrag Punosevac wrote:
How about if you read  first page from Chapter 18 from the Handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

There are several rock solid command line programs for burning CDs and DVDs. Burn cd is the simplest one. cdrecord is the second one.

Except I am not trying to burn a CD. I am trying to rip (extract CD audio tracks into a file). Both burncd and cdrecord are for burning (writing) CDs, which is not the issue.

Now, the dd command mentioned on that page... that I am familiar with, and already had tried. Through me for a loop at first since I thought it was outputting a .wav file, but once I realized it was just a raw PCM file I was able to play it fine. So it works.

cdda2wav seems to extract a wav file fine, with no errors. File is playable.

cdparanoia also creates a playable wav file just fine.

Forgive me for saying this but before we declare something is wrong with hardware lets check if the thing can record from the command line when you are supper user. This way we will check if something is wrong with hardware or with configuration files i.e. permissions , links etc.
If you can rip CD from the command line hardware is OK.

It's not that I thought I had bad hardware, but I figured I might need some config/settings tweaks, especially since it's an SATA drive.

Anyhow, sorry for the confusion... don't mean to seem dense. Just didn't seem like we were on the same page (burning vs. ripping). Hopefully the command-line results give you an idea of where to look next.