At 07:01 PM 8/30/2007, L Goodwin wrote:
Chuck, I'd prefer to have the script handle the
mailing  so I can test the script (with email send)
manually, independent of cron.

Still looking for specifics on setting this up and a
bourne shell script example that sends an email.
Thanks!

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

> Although, it is entirely reasonable to consider
> using Postfix instead.
>
> --
> -Chuck

Here is a sample script that you can use as a template:
#!/bin/sh

#define any commands you will use
MAILFILE=mymailfile
MAILFILE2=mymailfile2
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAIL=/usr/bin/mail
AWK=/usr/bin/awk
CAT=/bin/cat
TR=/usr/bin/tr
TEMPDIR=/tmp

#make sure we have paths
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

cd $TEMPDIR
$CAT /etc/passwd | $AWK -F : '{ print $5 }' > $MAILFILE
$TR -cd "\012-\172" < $MAILFILE > $MAILFILE2
$MAIL -s "My list of real user names subject" $SENDTO -c $CCTO < $MAILFILE2

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.