Mel wrote:
On Saturday 01 September 2007 10:54:58 Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
I just installed 7.0-CURRENT (after someone said on this list that it's
very stable and there are very few bugs left). So far it seems to work
fine, but there's one thing that bothers me. I repeatedly get the
following messages in the console:

in openpam_dispatch(): pam_nologin.so: no pam_sm_authenticate()
in openpam_dispatch(): pam_nologin.so: no pam_sm_setcred()

One of those, or sometimes both, appear every time someone logs in, and
since I use fetchmail to get mail from several accounts and deliver them
locally, and then a local POP3 server from which my mail clients gets
the mail, the logins, and thus the warning/error messages, are quite
frequent.

Now for my actual questions:

1. How severe are those messages? Should I assume that there are
security holes?

Don't think so. I think you didn't recompile PAM-aware software (like fetchmail and qpopper) so PAM warns you they didn't call the proper functions.

2. How do I get rid of the messages? No matter how severe they are, I do
NOT want them filling up the console. So how could I correct the problem?

Silence it by altering auth.notice to auth.none on the /dev/console line in /etc/syslog.conf and then restart syslogd (/etc/rc.d/syslogd restart).

2a. Why do those messages appear at all? Could I have done something
wrong when building and installing world and/or kernel?

I think it's mostly the port software. Sshd for instance shouldn't generate this problem.

It does it for EVERY login. Also with xdm and login. And I did forcibly recompiled ALL ports.

--

Sincerly,

Rolf Nielsen