On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:35:14 +0000
 David Larkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just installed 4.7 on a new machine and all seems well
> except the XFree86 is only working on the default VGA
> mode.
What previous step did you make, or what have you done
here?
Did you type: startx

> Configuring X is a complete nightmare, am I missing
> something ?
>
> I haven't a clue what sync rates my monitor has and have
> no manual for it.,
Have a look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

> also I intend moving the server to a new office where it
> will be attached
> a different monitor.
>
> I've tried selecting various options from the various
> menus but all
> that happens is my screen blinks and I have to reboot and
> try again
> with the same result.

BE AWARE THAT A BAD CONFIGURED XF86Config CAN KILL YOUR
MONITOR!!

> Apart from the fact it doesn't work, does it generate an
> error log
> somewhere
> so I can try and work out the problem ?
Yes, /var/log/XFree86.0.log

> Is there no standard config which would allow something
>  better than
> VGA. I don't need to squeeze the last drop of performance
> out of the
> monitor/graphics card, just get something useable up and
> running.
1) You will need to know what Montior Model it is!
Find out the exact modell and look at google for the
specifications of your monitor, you will need the
Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates!

2) You will also need information about your graphic
adapter (or if your are lucky "XFfree86 -configure") will
auto-detect the chip