I'd say thanks for the help, but telling someone that 'it works for me' is not
helpful.

I upgraded to 6.2p7 from 6.2p6 and this problem started happening, but only
with dhcpd.

In fact I can run the old dhcpd fine, but the new binary deos not run fine.

The old binary does a dhcp reply from [dhcpd ip address] to 255.255.255.255.

The new binary does a dhcp reply from [dhcpd ip address] to 192.168.0.255.

Windows is not getting the reply from the new binary.  This is not the correct
behavior.  In fact there is a bug in OLD 2.2 linux kernels that says that the
kernel routing is messed up (see isc-dhcp3 web site docs).

Joe

Peter Boosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Joe wrote:
> Hello, after running tcpdump for a while I discoverd what is going on with my
> dhcpd server and why some clients are not able to get an IP address from it,
> in particular windows clients.  It turns out it is not just win2k but any
> windows.
>
> It seems that the dhcpd server is replying to the subnet and not the
> broadcast net.  So the reply that should be sent to 255.255.255.255:68 is
> sent to 192.168.0.255:68.  Then, because the client has no IP address or has
> defaulted it to a 169.x.x.x(MS defaults) it does not seem to be getting the
> reply and thus never gets an address assigned.

I have no problems running dhcp3 with windows clients at all... As far
as I can tell the broadcast address of a subnet *never* is 255.255.255.255.

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org