Hello All:

I am trying to set up a few facilities to receive syslog info from various network devices. In all cases, not only do the arriving packets get logged to the logfile configured, but they also get logged to /var/log/messages. I would like messages to be used only for system-related issues. I have included the relevant snippets from my syslog.conf file. Could someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
security.* /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info /var/log/auth.log
mail.info /var/log/maillog
lpr.info /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.* /var/log/cron
local5.* /var/log/switches.log