Gueven Bay wrote:
I'm curious, why does "pkg_add -r" point to the "release" snapshot of
ports by default?  Is the idea that a "release" is well-tested and that
any deviation from that (even security or bug-fix changes) is an unknown
that new users need to be shielded against when grabbing packages with
"pkg_add -r"?  Seems to me it would be better to have "pkg_add -r" point
to stable (which, if I understand things correctly, does get updated
packages).
-release packages have gone through an extensive period of testing with
that release, so you have more confidence they will work.  The
up-to-date packages may not work, may not even be present on the FTP
site, and in general are not suitable for users who just want a working
system without having to fiddle with it.

i.e. defaulting to the packages that came with the release is a
conservative step that is appropriate for users who just want packages
that work, and don't care about always having the latest versions.  For
the rest of you, you're going to be doing a lot more hands on admin
anyway, so setting one env variable is not a heavy burden.

Do the -release packages get updates for security (and only for
security) reasons?
I ask because I don't find any information about this on the FBSD webpages.

No, we don't have the resources.

Kris