Over the weekend in trying to build xorg and kde from packages, none of the various options for the package tree seemed to work. Plus the meta port for kde was not available.

If one goes to /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/kde  (1)
               /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/kde (2)

there does not seems to be a kde meta port in (1). In (2) there is:

   kde-3.5.4.tbz -> ../All/kde-3.5.4.tbz

In general all packages seem to be a symlink to ../All/.. I had assumed this was the same directory and there was really one instance of the ports tree per major release of FreeBSD. so I never (knowingly) distinguished between -<n>-stable and -<n.x>-release. Is there a difference.

Is there a working kde package in -6-stable?

Thanks

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com