Eric Crist wrote:
I'm sure nobody will mention this, so I will. On most systems with support ACPI, your colo provider can simply press the power button on the front of your server. FreeBSD's kernel will pick up the signal and shut down cleanly.

Once you're moved, they can press the same button to power the system on. There is *NO* need to give them login access to the box. Also, they could simply call you to have you shut it down.

many good ideas; thanks.

I guess since they ask for an ip based mechanism that I'll create a special user in the operator group and do the chmod trick on shutdown.
--
Robin Becker