Eric,
Some cameras can be mounted without any software on FreeBSD. Yours is not one of those so be it.
No we are going to use gPhoto2.

If you play (ON THE MENU OF CAMERA) with the options on YOUR CAMERA in particular options for USB connector you will see that the following options likely will be displayed
Pict Bridge
PTP
Mass Storage
Auto

By default the camera is in Auto mode which is good enough for Windozzz but FreeBSD might want you to put camera in PTP mode usually used when camera is directly connected to PRINTER via
USB.
Then just follow the steps I gave you.
I am 99% sure that your camera DOES work with FreeBSD.

Predrag

Erin McNew wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I did try mounting the camera, but since I had to use gphoto2 in linux, I figured I'd probably need to do so in freebsd as well. It gave me the message saying it required a block device.

I do not quite know what you mean about switching my camera to PTP mode. I did not need to do anything special under Linux, but I will google a bit to see what I can figure out related to that. I will look into your suggestions a bit more closely tonight when I get back home. If I'm understanding your explanation correctly, the fact that my camera is showing up as ugen0 instead of usb0 is not a problem, correct?

Thanks!
~Erin