Ivan Voras wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

During the boot probe, FreeBSD 6.2 (Release or -STABLE) hangs for several minutes while probing the floppy. Eventually, it does get through it, but it takes a loooong time. Disabling the floppy in the machine BIOS makes the problem
  go away because FBSD sees no floppy to probe, but that's not an optimal
  soltion.

Have you tried adding hint.fd.0.disabled="1" and hint.fdc.0.disabled="1" to your loader.conf (or device.hints)? I don't know it it will work, it's just something you could try.

I have not.  If I do this, will it actually disable the floppy/controller?
The issue for me is that I want to be able to actually use the floppy
when I need it, I just don't want to have wait multiple minutes while
the kernel figures out there is not floppy in the drive at boot time...