Amitabh Kant wrote:
On 9/8/07, Bahman M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I tested the connection by downloading 2~3 files simultaneously and used
'bmon' as Mel suggested in another reply (thanks to him).  As I'd
already guessed the RX don't get bigger than 30~40% of the expected
bandwidth.  I performed the test with some other files and there was no
difference.

Thanks,

Bahman

The bandwidth being advertised by your ISP would be the maximum
thoughput allowed on your DSL lines with multiple DSL users sharing
the same bandwidth, something that is generally known as contention
ratio.

See this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio

Amitabh

But you should be able to hit the advertised bandwidth.  To the best
of my knowledge, DSL itself is NOT a shared medium.  It is a point-to-
point technology from your premise to the Central Office.  The
bandwidth *behind* the CO may be shared, but should be so large
as to not be a bottleneck.   My provider (Speakeasy) advertises
1.5/384 ADSL for my circuit and that is *exactly* what I get whether
moving a single file or multiple files simultaneously.

There are only two reasons I can think of that would prevent you
from hitting full advertised bandwidth:

1) You are too far away from the CO to hold up the circuit a full speed.
   Most DSL bridges/routers are adaptive and will downshift to a speed
   where the error rate is reduced to an acceptable level.  Even if
   you are not far away from the CO, you will also see this if the copper
   pair is noisy for some other reason: bad grounding, bad splicing, old
   wire, etc.

2) Your premise wiring is hosed.  Home telephone wiring is typically
   utter crap for data, even on newer homes.   A new run of Cat 3 cable
   directly from the Network Interface box on the side of the building
   to the jack where the DSL bridge plugs in can do wonders.  Also make
   sure that the cable from the bridge to that jack is good - I just had
   one go bad and wreak havoc for a while in my office.

HTH,