On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

From: Lars Eighner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wish I'd known that before I trashed my disc and spent a couple of weeks
and hundreds of bucks building a new system.

One of the rules of thumb when you have hardware problems with a new
system (I'm assuming of course that these UDMA errors have been
happening since the system was built) is to search both the FreeBSD
questions mailing list archives, and the PR database - both closed and
open PRs.  Particularly closed PRs are a wealth of information because
so many of them are closed for lack of followup.

I got the (disc) manufacture's utilities (which run on a bootable
FreeDOS CD) and ran every test over and over.  It kept telling me
the disc was fine.  I should have believed.

I always feel a little weird about discs because although the manufacture
and the BIOS agree on the geometry, FreeBSD always (over three or four boxes
with a half-dozen different discs) tells me the geometry is wrong.  It seems
so confident about it, I generally let it do what it wants.  But what does
FreeBSD know about the disc that the manufacture and the BIOS don't?

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html