I strongly suspect you have a hardware problem. Either in the controller,
or one of the disks. It is possible that something is crapping out in
vinum, or in the kernel, but I've dumped massive amounts of data to a
vinum raid5 volume before, and it didn't even burp - much less crash. I've
also had bad EIDE disks cause the system to panic, and they weren't even
in a RAID configuration; just normal data drives.

As it is, Greg Lehey is "the man" when it comes to vinum, (something about
writing it or other) so I'll ask the obligatory questions

+What hardware is this (SCSI/EIDE/other?)
+Can you post a copy of any console messages or panic info?

Regards,
Seth Henry