On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 07:46:53AM +1000, Chris Keladis wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,

> When in a problematic SSH session try entering 'stty erase <ctrl-v ctrl-?>'

        Hm.  I'm on tao2 now, ssh's into tao.  On a Konsole on tao2,
        the [backspace] key works fine--from the CL.  Your suggestion of
        using the literal ^V^? makes no difference.  The only thing that
        does, is selection the "freebsd console" from the  Konsole
        Settings -> Keyboard drop-down, as I wrote to Chad a few minutes
        ago.  So closer.

> Then hit the backspace key and see if it behaves as normal.
>
> If that works, then you have a terminal emulation problem, and need to
> try some other terms to find one that works for your keyboard (must be
> set both client AND server-side).
>
> If you think you really need to edit the keyboard mappings then the
> file is /etc/termcap but i strongly recommend trying a few different
> terminals (try vt100, linux, xterm, etc) before editing that file.

        I'm not touching the termcap file unless it's an (abs) last
        resort!

> Remember, they need to be set in pairs, so change the term on both
> sides, disconnect, reconnect with the new term, and do your tests.

        Thanks for your help, gentleen.   I'll let you know when/if I
        figure this out!

        gary