As a computer user who happens to be blind, I have
always wanted to use the headless installation method to build
FreeBSD systems. After FreeBSD version 5, things seemed to go a
bit wrong and I am trying to figure out whether it is me not
doing something right or if there is a bug.

        The sequence as I understand it from previous
documentation is to boot the CD, wait for the lull in activity
and then hit the number 6. After that, you type

boot -h

and the serial port usually comes up.

        On some systems, it comes up at the wrong speed which
turns out to be 115,200 baud, but it does come up.

        What then happens after that is what I am writing this
message about.

        The kernel on the CD boots but then it can't seem to
find the hard drives and the whole process is dead on arrival
with a spew of errors about not finding any media followed by a
lockup.

        If I have a cowworker help me and run the install off
the new system's video display, all is well and we get a good
FreeBSD installation.

        Can anybody think of a way to get the headless install
to work in FreeBSD 6.2?

        Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer